Saturday, July 23, 2011

Playing card workout

Every now and then I like to throw down the playing card workout. The volume is structured (91 reps per exercise for Ace Low program), all that changes is the exercise and resistance.

Today's workout approach was similar to many that I do when selecting only a few exercises. I want 1 leg, 1 push, 1 pull, 1 core and 1 cardio. Pretty simple really. However, there are only four suits in a playing card deck so somewhere I have to combine 2 of the above exercises. Well I decided to add the Core element to both my push and pull exercises...that'll do nicely.
So here are the exercises I chose...

1. Push-up knee tuck on the ab dolly. Feet on the ab dolly, you do 1 push up followed by pulling your knees into your chest on the dolly. You could also do this on the TRX band which is referred to as the "Atomic pushup" and is key in their 40/40 challenge.

2. Reverse Turkish Pull. I love this exercise (my own design) as it involves a massive portion of the posterior shoulder chain and core. It's similar to a Turkish get up, except you are using a cable with resistance (we used 85lbs) instead of a Kettlebell. Start in a seated position holding the cable (need to be on a small bench approx 12" off the ground...we used a reebok step bench). You start by extending your body down until you are lying on the bench on one shoulder blade (the one not holding the cable). You then pull your right shoulder blade down to the bench keeping your arm straight and finsih with a row.

3. Bulgarian Lunge with 26lb kettlebell. Pretty simple, place one leg on a bench behind you (toe down), the other is placed in front. Lunge down until the Kettlebell touches the ground (while maintaining posture) and return to starting position. Kettlebell is in opposite hand to leg which is forward.

4. Treadmill. Treadmill was at 12% incline, 8mph. Probably could have made this tougher, oh well. Multiply the reps by 3 and this gives you your seconds on the treadmill.

And to the workout itself. Shuffle a deck of cards (including jokers). Flip the top card. The suit will dictate your exercise (with 4 people, just do a simple matrix which has each person doing a different exercise per suit). Then you will perform the number of reps that are shown on the card. So a 8 of clubs would have you doing 8 reps of the exercise which is dedicated to clubs. Jacks are 11 reps, Queen 12, and King 13. Ace can either be 1 rep (low) or 14 reps (high). Each joker gives you 1 minute rest.

I need to get some images/video of the exercises so that you can see them in action

No comments:

Post a Comment